The Division of Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries of the Alabama Department of Conservation and Natural Resources continues development, maintenance, and management of over 721,574 acres of land for the Alabama hunter. These areas are financed with funds derived from hunting licenses and federal excise tax on firearms and ammunition. Located below you will find a list of public hunting areas in Alabama.
Special rules and regulations apply on all Wildlife Management Areas. Individuals should check area map or with Area Biologists for specifics.
- Spring turkey season will be delayed for research purposes on these WMAs: Barbour, J.D. Martin-Skyline, Oakmulgee, Lowndes, Choccolocco, and Perdido River.
The delayed season will run March 24 to April 30, 2018. The reasons for the delay are so biologists can:
- Conduct research on wild turkey survival and productivity to guide management decisions.
- Research decision tool predictions suggest altering season frameworks would increase wild turkey reproduction and population over time.
- Test season and bag limit decision tool on small experimental scale (three study sites and three WMAs of diverse habitats and hunting pressure).
- Monitor and evaluate turkey response to season changes and compare to tool predicted outcomes.
- Statewide--Gate closures are from May 1 until September 15. This has been a long-standing policy with the majority of state WMAs. Road closures permit a period of reduced disturbance for many wildlife species that are nesting, carrying young, or taking care of new offspring. Additionally, these road closures allow WMA staff necessary time to repair roads and culverts without issues of vehicular traffic and travel on newly repaired roads. Individuals or groups that enjoy hiking, nature photography or bird watching may still access the entire area on foot behind closed gates during this period. All gates will be opened to vehicular traffic September 15 through April 30. Gate closures dates may vary on some WMAs. Please contact the area manager to confirm gate closure dates for a specific WMA.
Requirements to Hunt on Management Area:
- A hunting license
- Management area permit
- Management area license
- A Wildlife Heritage License is valid in lieu of resident State Hunting and WMA License for small game hunting, excluding waterfowl.