Use our online sales system to instantly purchase and print your hunting or fishing licenses.


Email dcnr.wfflicense@dcnr.alabama.gov or call 334-242-3465 with license questions.

Reprint a Previous Purchased License - You can find your current valid license and download as a pdf file.

License Information and Manual applications  are available:

Manual applications are available for those who license purchasers who do not wish to use the online sales system or for obtaining licenses not available on the online sales system.  See above to access the online sales system.


Now offering a permanent Conservation I.D..#

Beginning August 22, 2016, hunters and anglers will be able to obtain the New Conservation ID#.  This 6-digit permanent Conservation ID# can be used to report your deer or turkey harvest in the Game Check System. Future plans include license purchasing, accessing your deer and turkey harvest history, etc.

Future plans are to allow this 6-digit number to be used, in addition to reporting your harvest and viewing your harvest histories in game check, for faster renewing and purchasing of licenses.

Beginning August 22, 2016, request and get your Conservation I.D.# in the Game Check System - click on the Conservation ID link at the top-right.

How to Obtain a Conservation ID Number

Hunting & Fishing Digest

Pick up a copy at Conservation District Offices, county probate and license commissioner offices, and license agents for the latest information on license, season and bag limits, and new information on hunting and freshwater fishing in Alabama.  Questions regarding laws, regulations, license requirements or programs should be directed to:

Residents 64 years of age purchase special licenses for the price of an annual license.

Residents 65 years of age and over are exempt from purchasing the following licenses (MUST have Alabama driver's license or proof of permanent residence and age.  Does not include non-resident landowners.):

  • Hunting
  • Freshwater Fishing
  • Saltwater Fishing
  • State Duck Stamp
  • Wildlife Management Area

Residents age 65 and older can continue their support of DCNR programs and habitat with the purchase of a special group of licenses, allowing donation to appropriate fund.

Change to valid period dates for recreational licenses beginning with license year 2008!

§9-11-32, Code of Alabama 1975 -- Unless specifically provided otherwise by law, all annual wildlife heritage, hunting, and fishing licenses issued pursuant to this chapter shall be dated when issued and shall authorize the person named on the license to participate in the licensed activities from September 1 or the date of issuance to the next August 31, and then only within the regulations and restrictions provided by law.

Harvest Information Program (HIP)

All licensed hunters who hunt doves, woodcock, rails, snipe, coots, ducks, or geese in Alabama are required by Federal Law to obtain a HIP permit prior to hunting. HIP permits are free and are available here at and all hunting license vendors.

Deer and Turkey Harvest Record

A mandatory hunter harvest record is in effect. It is illegal for a hunter to field dress or move an antlered, unantlered deer or turkey before dating a hunter harvest record. The harvest record must be either a paper record or the electronic record in the OutdoorAlabama app.

If someone other than the hunter is transporting a harvested deer or turkey, the individual transporting the deer or turkey MUST have in their possession written documentation including name, address, license number, or Conservation ID#, telephone number, date of harvest and signature of the person who harvested the deer or turkey, until it is processed and stored in a cooler or freezer at one’s residence or delivered to a commercial processing plant.

Game Check

All hunters are now required to report their deer and turkey harvests through the Game Check system.  For more information, click here.

How to report your deer or turkey harvest if you are exempt from licenses?

If you are exempt from purchasing a license, you may obtain your H.E.L.P. # at any local probate, local license agent or online or get a new Conservation ID# (see below).  To use our online sales system, you will go through all the steps at no charge (as if purchasing a license).  You can continue without entering a driver's license for children 15 years of age and younger.  You will print your H.E.L.P. # within minutes.  Get your H.E.L.P. # online now!

Those exempt from purchasing licenses would be:

  • Residents under 16 years of age
  • Residents 65 and over
  • Resident Landowners - read more.

Hunter Education

Successfully completing an approved hunter education course is mandatory for all non-supervised hunting license buyers born on or after August 1, 1977, except APOST certified law enforcement officers employed in the state, active duty U.S. Military personnel and Alabama residents who are active members of the AL National Guard. Alabama is one of 49 states which has a mandatory hunter education program. There are two ways to obtain your hunter education class; an in person class, also called a traditional class, or an all online internet option. Either option fulfills the hunter education requirement needed to purchase your hunting license. For more information about hunter education, click here.

Hunting license buyers also have the option to hunt under the “supervision required” status in lieu of passing the hunter education course. Hunters under supervision MUST be under normal voice control, not to exceed 30 feet away from a properly licensed hunter 21 years of age or older. Under no circumstance shall the supervising person be the holder of a “supervision required” license.

Social Security Number Requirement

This is a mandatory requirement (Alabama Section 30-3-194(a) Code of Alabama 1975 and Federal 2 U.S.C.A. § 666(a)(13)(2003)law. A license may not be issued without the social security number being recorded as stated above.  Click here, to view the laws.

Notes to Nonresidents

Applicants holding a nonresident driver license will be considered a nonresident for the purposes of purchasing a hunting or fishing license even if they are able to produce other evidence of residency, including nonresident landowners (with the exception of active duty military).

Special fishing license fees apply to residents of Florida, Louisiana and Mississippi due to reciprocal license costs.

Game fish cannot be caught by any method other than ordinary hook and line, fly, troll, or spinner. The sale of game fish taken from public water is prohibited by law in Alabama.  Only one day's limit may be in possession.

Residency Requirements

It is a violation of state law to willfully or knowingly make a false statement when purchasing an Alabama resident license.

Alabama law requires license agents first ask to see the applicant’s driver license.

Nonresident licensed drivers (including college students) making application will be considered nonresidents for the purpose of purchasing hunting and fishing license even if they are able to produce other evidence of residency (except military personnel).

Resident licensed drivers applying for hunting and fishing license must:

  • Present a valid Alabama Driver’s License (except active duty military, spouse, dependents).
  • Reside continuously in Alabama for 90 days.

Resident NONDRIVERS (persons not holding a valid drivers license)

  • Must present a State of Alabama issued ID Card or
  • Go to the Probate or License Commissioner and present at least two of the following documents:
    • Copy of school registration (required for school age children 5-16 years old).
    • Copy of previous year tax return (mailing address only).
    • Voter registration card.
    • Certificate of employment, if containing proof of permanent residency.
    • Copy of home property tax.
    • Health insurance forms with address (Medicare) etc.
    • The last three months of a utility bill with mailing address.
    • Other legal documents that may establish residency after approval by the Conservation Department.

Minors without these documents Parent or guardian may produce proof of their residency and confirm that the minor has resided with them for at least 90 days.

License officials may require more than two of these items in order to prove bona fide residency.

In no instance will a resident of another state (except military personnel) be issued an Alabama resident license even if the person is able to produce these items.

Military personnel, including spouse and dependents living with them

  • Receive resident license privileges with copy of orders assigning them to Alabama and a military ID card.
  • Are not required to present Alabama Driver’s License.
  • Must present a valid U.S. driver’s license; otherwise, the license must be purchased at a Probate or License Commissioner’s office.
  • Military personnel assigned to Fort Benning, living in Alabama, hunting off base may apply for resident privileges after 90 days using the same evidence of residency as a non-driver.  (excludes spouse and dependents with out of state driver’s license)
  • Military personnel assigned to Fort Benning, not living in Alabama, hunting off base must have purchase a non-resident license if hunting in Alabama.
  • Military personnel assigned to Fort Benning, who have a Fort Benning hunting license, hunting on base only are not required to purchase an Alabama license.
    • They are still required to carry a Harvest Record and report any deer or turkey killed on base in Alabama to Game Check.
    • They may be issued a Game Check H.E.L.P Number to report these kills by presenting orders and military ID.


  • Reside continuously in Alabama for the following period:
    • Fur Catchers – 90 days
    • Seafood – 12 months
    • Commercial Fishing – 12 months